« Home | No Tag for Peterson » | Crucial Combine Coming » | Free Agent Buzz » | Christoff Off to Stanford » | Reinfeldt Declines » | Foster Interested in 49ers » | Mock Draft 3.1 » | Interview: Niner Pro Bowlers » | Nedney Closest to Re-sign » | Niners Likely to Avoid Smurfs »

Michael Huff Interview

Recently Vini 'The Vin' Chopra talked with Draft Prospect Michael Huff of the University of Texas. Here is the interview in full.

Vin: Mr. Huff around the 49er community for the last few months there has been a lot of talk about bringing you in to help out the 49er defense. In what aspect do you think you'd benefit the 49ers, or any NFL team, the most?

Michael Huff (MH): I think the biggest benefit that I can bring to any team is my versatility. Depending on the scheme I can play corner or I can play safety. I can even line up in the box or cover a slot reciever so whatever the team needs me too play I will do it and help the defense in any way I can.

Vin: You mention versatility. At the NFL level, do you have a preference for playing safety or corner, or are you just as comfortable with either position?

MH: I don't really have a preference, as long as I'm on the field making plays I don't care where I'm at. I just wanna do whatever it takes to help the team win.

Vin: What do you feel separates you from the rest of the draftees in contention?

MH: I would probably have to go back to my versality. Not everybody can play corner and safety, its just two different worlds. So you can put me in position to help the defense wherever I'm needed.

Full Interview...
Vin: You're projected as a top 10 pick around many draft discussions, whether it be ESPN or other sources, so that usually implies that you'll likely be heading to a team that has had some struggle the previous year. How does this affect you and do you have any preference as to where you would like to play?

MH: Teams struggle for a lot of different reasons so just because they're in the top 10 doesn't mean they're a bad team, there could have been a lot of injuries or many other reasons so they might be one player away from having a succesful season so hopefully whichever team drafts me feels like I can help the team take that next step. So it doesn't affect me at all, I'm just gonna go out there and play to the best of my ability and help the team in anyway possible. I just wanna play somewhere that I'm wanted and where I will have a chance to help the team.

Vin: The San Francisco 49ers have a history of great safeties, from Merton Hanks, to Tim McDonald, to the legendary Ronnie Lott. In fact, over here on 49ersnews.com there has been some comparison between you and Ronnie Lott. If you were to compare yourself with an NFL safety, who do you base your game after or who's your favorite safety to watch?

MH: I've heard that I am being compared too ronnie lott but he was one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game so I'm nowhere on his level but hopefully I will leave a legacy like he did. If I had to compare myself too a safety I would have to say Ed Reed. But as far as me and corner I would have to say Charles Woodson. The safeties I like watching most are Ed reed and Troy from the Steelers.

Vin: Now you mentioned Troy Polamalu, a very active safety who is seemingly all over the place in a very complex and quick 3-4 defense that the Steelers run. Do you have any preference for schemes in the NFL, or do you feel that because of your versatility that you can be a fit in virtually any defense?

MH: I think I can be succesful in any defense. I pride myself on being smarter than the opponent so I like to learn what everybody on the field is doing from the safeties to the corners to the linebackers just so I can understand the whole concept of the defense.

Vin: How do you think that winning the National Title will benefit you in your NFL career? What was the experience like working with a group of players who rose to the heights of the NCAA football echelon?

MH: I just think I will bring a winning attitude too whoever drafts me. It was great playing with those guys and I'm just glad we brought a championship too the state of Texas

Vin: Now bringing a championship to the state of Texas is a huge thing. But as 49er fans would want it, we'd like to bring another championship back here. So, let's say you're sitting on your sofa with your family and you get the call from coach Nolan and hear Paul Taglibue say that the 49ers have selected Michael Huff, safety, Texas. How do you react? What's your feeling on the 49ers?

MH: I'm sure I won't know how too react till it happens, but I would love to put on a 49ers uniform just thinkin about all the great dbs and all the great players that have worn that uniform, it would be special.

Vin: Finally, how are the draft preparations coming along? The combine isn't too far away, and how do you feel physically and mentally now?

MH: Everything has gone well, I'm training at API in Phoenix which is the best facility out there. I'm lookin forward to the combine so I can go prove myself too everybody, and hopefully I have a good showing.

Vin: Alright, thanks Mr. Huff for taking the time to address the 49erholics out there. Hopefully, we'll be seeing you holding a Red and Gold jersey come April.

MH: Ok thanks

Relevance: -